Monday, April 8, 2013

Army bag I fell in love with and now can't stop wearing

So I've been wanting to post more about my DIY endeavours but when I have an idea I am generally too impatient to take pictures of the process and just want to get to the end result of whatever it is that I want. But for this particular DIY I was a little smarter and here is a DIY post where I am IN LOVE with the finished product.

Army surplus fabric bags are one of my most loved plus used and abused carry-alls but I don't like them looking like twenty thousand other people's, so over the years I've used patches and pins galore to make them more me. But for the past few months I've been itching to take the patchwork penchant to a whole new level of complicated embroidery. Now since I am super impatient I couldn't really do something that was very complicated, that would have taken longer, I quickly sewed all the colours I could find on a red piece of cotton fabric and then proceeded to sew the patch onto the bag. Here are a few pictures of the process, this is what I started with, a simple, non-descript fabric bag:



Hours of furious hand sewing...





Et Voila, a bag that is totally colourful, totally unlike anyone else's and totally me, I am soo happy I can't stop wearing it.






What are you favourite DIY beauties? I would like to look at some inspiration, once the DIY frenzy hits me its hard to stop but I am running out of ideas and this rainy weather is the best time to stay indoors making beautiful things.

5 comments:

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Oh I love it!!!! I can imagine you walking along with your bag swinging on your hip, the flash of exotic red fabric giving passers-by a lovely surprise:). I'm a huge fan of patchwork and if I need an instant DIY fix, I'll whip up a cushion cover. Thanks for sharing your project! xoxo

Vix said...

That is wonderful - I want one!
I'm exactly the same, I have to complete my DIY in one day or the moment passes and it's consigned forever to the to-do pile. xxx

bohemian vanity said...

Your bag looks wonderful i like the pattern you've added! You did a good job! xx

Angie said...

I used to carry army bags ...er years ago and loved them for being strong and rough and can take the personality of the holder through decoration.Yours came out ...India inspired and adorable.

Sonali said...

This looks so cheery.. glad you found it.. Most of my DIY starts and finishes in my head but lately I am upcycling quite a few of my old kurtas into Blouses and crop tops